16 Top Sleeping Tips to Parkinson Patients
Due to Parkinson’s disease often the patient can feel difficult to get good sleep and adequate rest. Parkinson’s disease is a disorder of the nervous system that causes a lack of dopamine in the brain. We have shared the sleeping tips to Parkinson patients.
Most of Parkinson’s patients can initiate sleep easily but find it difficult to maintain it. Most sleep disturbances are caused by excess medication remaining in the body from the last dose of the day. Here are some tips to help you sleep well.
These tips are not only tips for Parkinson patient. Parkinson people need to follow tips to get the best life. As we all know that Parkinson disease is a progressive disease.
Top 16 Sleeping Tips to Parkinson Patients
- Try to take the last dose of antiparkinson medicine before your bedtime.
- If possible make a fix bedtime routine. go to bed at the same time and get up from the sleep at the same time.
- Give yourself 15 to 30 minutes to fall asleep. If you still awake after this time, simply go out from the bed and sit and read a book or listen to some soft relaxing music in low light and sedentary. until you feel sleepy.
Try to drink adequate water at only daytime ( morning to evening), if you drink water at night time then you may have to go toilet multiple times. That can cause disturbance your night sleeping.
- Try to do some relaxing things each night before going to bed. Such as a warm bath, reading a book or watching the TV show.
- Avoid stimulants like coffee, alcohol or nicotine within 6 hours of bedtime.
- Do not take long naps during the day.
- Keep yourself physically busy and participate in activities.
- Avoid using your bedroom for activities other than sleeping, such as reading or watching T.V.
- Exercise: When you are at on-phase in daytime (preferably in the morning ), then practice exercise. Exercise will help you sleep better at night.
- Avoid thoughts or hard discussions about topics that cause anger, and frustration, anxiety before bedtime.
- Before sleeping, maintain a comfortable environment for sleeping. Such as a comfortable mattress and pillow are essential for good sleep, and you may decide that the incorporation of these box spring alternatives may provide added comfort too. Keep your room at a cool ambient temperature.
- Don’t allow any pet: Cats and dogs love to sleep close to owners. During the sleeping time, don’t allow them
- Practice some meditation which will give happiness, remove anxiety, make you clam, control over your emotion.
- Do practice NADISHODHAN Pranayam in the daytime at your On- Phase period. During the practice session, you should focus on your breathing. Daily practice for 10 – 15 min.
- The following may help Parkinson patients
– A warm glass of milk before bedtime
– A massage
– A hot shower or bath
– An expression of affection
15. Avoid feelings of guilt, resentment, regret, jealousy etc. at bedtime. Try to settle any issues before going to bed.
If all of the above fails, see your doctor and get yourself checked for depression.
16. Do not practice heavy exercise within 6 hours of night sleep