There are several factors which contribute in development and progression of migraine:-
- Family history-it is commonly seen that a person who has migraine will have at least one member with the same condition.
- Medicine overuse- increased use of NSAIDS (Aspirin, Diclofenac), opiates (morphine) and barbiturates may lead to development of migraine.
- Obesity-regular exercise in the form of sports or regular gym is very helpful in preventing migraine attacks and is very rarely seen in people with a healthy lifestyle.
- Depression-OR excess stress.
- Sleep apnea/ snoring- Lack of or excessive sleep.
- Neurological illness-like epilepsy, MS hormonal fluctuations during menses. Alcohol or other chemical stimulation.
- Allodynia- this is central pain sensitization to a previously non painful stimulus.
- Caffeine overuse-
Studies show that persons affected by migraine with aura are at increased risk of having ischemic stroke and myocardial infarction.