Thalamotomy involves creation of lesions in VIM thalamic nucleus in the brain and is quite effective in treating patients with essential, cerebellar, or Parkinsonian tremor.
- 80-90% reduction in limb tremor(with most complete or almost complete reduction in tremor)
- In general affects are much more dramatic then medications – Bilateral lesioning generally not done b/c of side effects
- Advantage over DBS that no hardware, no programming
Thalamic Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) uses implantable electrodes to send high-frequency electrical signals to the thalamus.
- 60-90% improvement in tremor on average
- Fewer side effects then thalamotomy
- May have benefit for bilateral implantation for voice and head tremor