Thalamotomy includes formation of lesions in VIM thalamic nucleus in the brain and is quite effective in treating patients with crucial, cerebellar or Parkinsonian tremor.
- 80-90% decrease in limb tremor (with most complete or almost complete reduction in tremor)
- Overall distresses are much more dramatic then medications – Bilateral lesioning generally not done b/c of side effects.
- Advantage over DBS that no hardware, no programming.
Thalamic Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) uses implantable electrodes to send high-frequency electrical signals to the thalamus.
- 60-90% improvement in tremor on average
- Fewer side effects then thalamotomy
- May have benefit for bilateral implantation for voice and head tremor.