Proper Management of Constipation in Parkinson DiseaseToday our topic is “Proper Management of Constipation in Parkinson disease”. Constipation is a big common challenge for Parkinson’s patients. Most of Parkinson’s patient has complained Constipation.Constipation Means when the movement of bowel becomes difficult or less frequent. Some people have bowel movements daily; some of them do 3 times a day.Some people have bowel movements not regular in a week. Due to constipation, PD people affect psychological and social distress and consequently losing the quality of life.Sometimes, Parkinson’s caregiver is confused how to do proper management of constipation in Parkinson disease?But trust me ………………… you can do proper Management of Constipation in Parkinson Disease with the help of a good lifestyle and a proper diet.
What causes constipation to Parkinson people? Learn Proper Management of Constipation in Parkinson Disease.Let’s understand the causes of constipation. As we all know that Parkinson’s disease is a progressive, degenerative neurological condition that affects the person’s movement.
· Parkinson’s patient may get constipation due to improper functioning of the autonomic nervous system which is responsible for regulating smooth muscle activity. The intestinal tract may operate slowly, that causing constipation. Now you may think that what autonomic nervous system?It is a particular control system that acts largely unconsciously and regulates bodily functions. Example: heart rate, digestion, respiratory rate, urination, etc. If this system does not work properly, the Intestinal tract may work slowly, causing Constipation.
· Also, Parkinson’s patient takes various medications that can cause constipation. So, Pd patient does not know that how to do proper management of Constipation in Parkinson Disease.Not only this reason, but also some other reasons may lead constipation to Parkinson’s patient, Such as :
· Not a proper diet with fiber. Eating a lot of fast food & saturated fat in the diet.
· Due to Parkinson’s symptoms, the Patient gets swallowing difficulty or not able to chew the food. They may skip taking proper food.
· Not drinking enough water and liquid.
· Change in daily routine.
· Due to Parkinson’s disease, PD people may get swallowing difficulties. As a result, the patient may not able to eat or chew food; as a result, the patient avoids eating fiber foods.
· Uncoordinated bowel motions: Bowel muscles may be weak and unable to contract.
· Sedentary lifestyle: PD people reduce to move; gradually they develop rigidity, freezing of gait and balance issues to avoid falling risk or accident, etc. So, Parkinson’s people avoid practicing exercise.
· Eating a lot of dairy products or junk foods.
How PD people can avoid getting Constipation? Learn the Proper Management of Constipation in Parkinson Disease.
Now here we will discuss the Proper Management of Constipation in Parkinson’s Disease. First, we will focus on food items to avoid Constipation.
A fiber diet helps to increase the weight and size of your stool and softens it. A bulky stool is easier to pass, decreasing your chance of constipation.
Fiber is classified into the water-soluble and water-insoluble fiber. Water-insoluble fiber includes cellulose, hemicellulose, methylcellulose, lignin, and synthetic fibers.
Food diet guidance to avoid constipation for Parkinson people
When we talk about the proper Management of Constipation in Parkinson Disease. Eat a balanced diet with ample of fibers.
Good sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, whole grains, Green leafy, sprout, etc. Check the below list of Fiber items.
Name: High Fiber of Fruit
1 medium-sized Ripe Banana: 2.6 gm.
1 medium-sized Ripe Papaya: 1.7 gm.
1 medium-sized Orange: 2.4 gm.
1 medium-sized Muskmelon: 0.9 gm.
1 medium-sized without peeled Cucumber: 0.7 gm.
1 medium-sized Apple with skin: 4.4 gm.
1 medium-sized Grapes: 3.9 gm.
1 medium-sized Watermelon: 0.4 gm.
1 medium-sized Kiwifruit: 2 gm.
100 gm Blackberries: 7 gm.
medium-sized Watermelon: 0.4 gm.
1 medium-sized Pear: 5.5 gm
Name: High Fiber of Vegetable
Green papaya: 1.7 gms
Pumpkin: 3 gms
Cabbage: 2.5 gms
Beetroot(100 gms): 2.8 gms
Carrot,(100 gms): 3.3 gms
Broccoli( 100 gms): 2.4 gms
Pea: 3.6 gms
Corn(100 gm): 2.4 gms
Sweet potato: 2.3 gms
Tomato: 1.2 gms
Green bean:2.7 gms
Capsicum: 3.7 gms
Bottle gourd( Lauki ): 0.5 gms
Cluster beans( Gawar Phali ) : 3 gms
Ridged gourd (tori): 1.7 gms
Turnip( शलजम ): 1.8 gms
Banana flower or banana blossom: 5.7 gms
Name: High Fiber of whole Grain
Eats a lot of whole grain, such as Barley, Brown rice, Bulgur (cracked wheat), Oatmeal, Millet, Jowar, Whole-wheat flour, etc.
Name: High Fiber of Green Leafy
Spinach (palak), fenugreek (methi), Saijan Saag, amaranth (Chaulai), mustard greens (Sarson) are not only rich in fiber but full of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, etc.
The healthy high fiber breakfast menu for Proper Management of Constipation in Parkinson Disease
We have shared a few breakfast ideas, You can try for Parkinson’s patient.
1. Jowar / broken wheat or Oats / Broken wheat Upma
2. Jowar roti and Vegetable Porridge.
3. If you are complete Vegan, then you can try Oats with almond milk and apples.Parathas, Rotis which have also fiber for Breakfast.
4. Lehsuni Bajra or Kaddu ki roti uses Bajra which is fiber-rich and can be paired with curds to make healthy breakfast combo.
5. Spinach and paneer paratha
6. Jowar Bajra spring onion roti
7. Jowar roti or Bajra roti with some healthy Sabzi.
8. On days when you want to include sprouts in your breakfast, turn to sprouts Pancake and accompany it with Palak, Kale and Apple juice.
South Indian fiber-rich breakfast options
Jowar palak Appe makes a great option for fiber-rich south Indian breakfast.
Another option for high fiber breakfast: Oats dosa, buckwheat dosa, Rava dosa, oats mutter dosa.
Avoid tea and coffee for breakfast. Always have tea or coffee one hour before or one hour after your breakfast, the objective is to let the digestion take place and the nutrients getting absorbed.
The healthy high fiber lunch / Dinner menu for Proper Management of Constipation in Parkinsons Disease
Bajra Khichdi / Bajra, whole moong, and green pea khichdi / Normal rice / Khichdi / Oats khichdi
Bajra roti / Jowar roti / Jowar Bajra garlic roti / Whole wheat roti
Chawli Masoor dal / Moong Dal / Chana dal
Gavarfali ki skhi subzi / Hariyali mutter with flax seeds raita / Any Sabji (above list high fiber vegetables)
Clear soup with Mixed vegetables / Garlic vegetable Soup / lemony quinoa and baby spinach soup
Cabbage carrot and lettuce salad / Paneer Hara chana salad / Citrus watermelon salad / Kale masoor salad
Add also yogurt after lunch.
Note: Dinner needs to be the lightest meal of a day.
In this below diet list, we just have given an overview of the diet structure. If you have diabetic, high BP or any other issue, please consult with a good dietician. ( If Pd patient has any sort of sugar issue, they should not have few foods, so consult with a good dietician )
Start slow and increase your fiber intake by 5 grams per day. Too much fiber too soon could cause stomach aches and possibly diarrhea.
During night time, have less food. Anyone should have heavy breakfast and lunch, dinner should be light and early at night.
Fluids for constipation in Parkinsons disease
- Drink 2.5- 3 liters water daily. Drink till evening at 6 Pm, not night time. If the patient drinks water at night time then many times need to go for urination, it may disturb sleep.
- Limit drinks that cause dehydration such as alcohol, tea, and coffee.
- Isabgol or psyllium husk is used Indian home remedy. So much so, that is used for treating constipation, diarrhea and the symptoms of anal fissures.
- Warm liquids, especially in the morning.
- Drink lots of homemade vegetable soups which is really helped with constipation issues.
Exercise for constipation in Parkinsons diseaseParkinson’s patients can practice freehand exercise. Do not worry,a patient can practice while sitting position also. Before practicing Any kind of exercise, discuss with your doctor and take proper guidance to physiologists. Start practice exercise during on-period. Parkinson’s patient who has Slurred voice, they should practice voice exercise at home.
Basic diet structure to manage constipation in Parkinsons disease
1. Drink a warm beverage like coffee or caffeinated tea. Early Morning: once you wake up.
2. Properly Parkinson’s patient has to take some medicine. (Syndopa)( If PD patient takes syndopa medicine, then after 1 hour they should have food.)
3. Breakfast: Oatmeals/wheat chapati &Sabji /Poha / Upma anything else in which PD patient is habituated, whatever eat something healthy. You can follow previous list, already ideas has been shared in the article.
4. after 1 hour ( 11 am- 11.30 am)
You can eat fruits. ( Ripe Banana, Apple with Skin, we already mentioned a list of fruits in this article).If Pd patient can chew, please eat fruit with skin, (example of fruits : cucumber, apple)
5. Lunch ( 325 Calories, 12 g fiber)
Rice or chapatti or KhichdiOne type of Pluses / Dal Add any type green leafy sabajiAny sabaji ( ( already mentioned the vegetable list )Add yogurt at the last of your meal.Add plate Green salad (If Person cannot have salad during lunch meal ), they can eat after half an hour. Snack/ Tiffin: Eat something healthy
Dinner: Chapati / SabjiAfter dinner : A glass of warm water with one small tea-table spoon Isabgol. Keep it for 15 mins, after 15 mins mix it nicely, drink it daily.Caution: when you should consult with a doctor
- If Parkinson’s patient is following constipation long days.
- If the patient gets blood in your stool.
- You have severe pain with bowel movements.
- Your constipation has more than 3 weeks.