We currently advocate pallidotomy for the following group of patients
- Patients who have predominantly unilateral Parkinson’s disease with drug-induced dyskinesias.
- The patients who have marked motor fluctuations such that the significant portion of the day is spent in functionally impaired state.
- This includes dyskinesia and off period symptoms.
- Patients suffering from severe pain related to off medication period which cannot be improved upon by drug adjustments. Severe painful off phase dystonia is also an indication for surgery.
- The patients who have unpredictable symptomatic relief that prevent establishment of a consistent medical regime.
- Patients suffering from unilateral dystonia