Migraine Headache Prevention
- Identification and avoidance of specific headache triggers: this can be done by keeping a trigger log, which documents the triggers that are specific to oneself.
- Stress management: this can be done by eliminating the stressful stimulus, transcendental meditation, yoga or any other form of relaxation therapy. Hypnosis may also be tired.
- Regularized lifestyle: A healthy diet, regular excersice, regular sleep patterns, avoidance of acute changes in stress levels, being particularly wary of the letdown effect.
- Transcutaneous supraorbital nerve stimulation (t-SNS): This device (Cefaly), similar to a headband with attached electrodes, was recently approved by the Food and Drug Administration as a preventive therapy for migraines. In research, those that used the device experienced fewer migraines.
- Learn to cope: By exposing oneself to headache triggers one can learn to desensitize to them.
- Reduce the effects of estrogen: reducing the intact of medicines that have estrogen in them maybe one way of preventing the migraine attacks.