This procedure is done by neurosurgeons to obtain tissue samples of suspected areas of the brain that are suspicious for tumors or infections.
The main indications for stereotactic biopsy are:
- Deep-seated brain lesions
- Multiple lesions of the brain
- Lesions in important functional areas of the brain e.g. the motor cortex, basal ganglia, corpus callosum Or brainstem
- Very small lesion, not ideal for open surgery.
- Lesions in a medically/surgically poor candidate who cannot tolerate anaesthesia.
- Lesions in a surgically poor candidate who cannot tolerate anaesthesia.